Department of Legal Metrology (Formerly known as Department of Weights and measures) now in order to align with the recommendations of International Organization of Legal Metrology for which India is also a member country, the Department is renamed as "Department of Legal Metrology"
Top 1. Maintance of accuracy in all Weights & Measures used in trade, Commerce & Industry.
2. Protection of Consumers against cheating in Weights and Measures in transaction.
3. To ensure correct quantities in Weights, Measures and Packaged Commodities.
4. To ensure correct Weighment of farm produce in sale and transaction.
In order to achieve the above goal, the Department is enforcing and implementing the following
Central and State Legislations.
1. The Legal Metrology Act -2009.
2. The Legal Metrology (General) Rules - 2011.
3. The Legal Metrology (National Standard) Rules - 2011.
4. The Legal Metrology (Numeration) Rules – 2011.
5. The Legal Metrology (Approval of Models) Rules – 2011
6. The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules – 2011.
7. The Indian Institute of Legal Metrology Rules – 2011.
8. The Karnataka Legal Metrology (Enforcement) Rules – 2011.